California Transportation Commission Adopts 2018 State Transportation Improvement Program
Over $2 Billion in New Gas Tax Revenue to Fund Projects Statewide
[Orange] – At its March meeting on Wednesday, the California Transportation Commission (Commission) adopted the 2018 State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP), which will fund over $3 billion in transportation improvements, including new capacity projects, over the next five years.
The STIP is key to funding future state highway, intercity rail, and transit improvements throughout California. State law requires the Commission to update the program biennially, in even-numbered years, with each update adding two new years to prior programming commitments. The 2018 STIP covers the period from Fiscal Year (FY) 2018-19 through FY 2022-23.
“Just two years ago, a funding shortfall forced the Commission to delete and delay about $1.5 billion in projects from the 2016 STIP,” said Commissioner Lucy Dunn. “That was a blow to communities counting on traffic relief. The gas tax revenue stabilized by SB 1 will help us restore many projects that were cut and fund new projects for much-needed transportation improvements across California.”
Thanks to the stabilization of gas tax revenue from the Road Repair and Accountability Act (SB 1), the Commission was able to fund more than $2 billion in new and restored projects in the 2018 STIP.
75 percent of new STIP funds goes to projects nominated by regional transportation agencies in their Regional Transportation Improvement Programs. The money is divided by formula into shares for each county. The remaining 25 percent of new STIP funds is made available to projects nominated by Caltrans in its Interregional Transportation Improvement Program.