As we get 2015 started, we are beginning the year by re-establishing all active chapters. All WSTA chapters and subdivisions must re-elect officers and continue to conduct all association business according to updated association bylaws, which means timely officer elections, accurate minutes, documentation and sign-in sheets, and every attempt to follow the Roberts Rules of Order. Each Chapter should send their chapter information to the office for review and archiving. And always remember to be careful not to violate any laws or regulations such as antitrust laws.
We have been working overtime to reach out to all chapters/subdivisions in order to help guide and support them and their interested members in the re-establishment process. As we travel and attend meetings across the entire state, we have found a great optimism from all standing volunteers regarding the future of our ever growing association. Although there are some concerns and a bit of confusion about the changes, we are confident the re-establishing process will be smooth and complete.
Please read the information provided below explaining the purpose behind and the process to re-establish chapters. We’ve also included some history behind the bylaws changes and a petition you should sign to help your chapter to re-establish and stay active.
Feel free to call me Rudy: 909-329-5673
or Lorraine at the office (909) 982-9898 if you have any questions.
Re-establishing New Chapters
Outline for Bylaws Change Implementation
A Little History: Due to the increasingly diverse subdivisions now operating within the Association, the bylaws were amended to resolve these structural issues and were approved by the board at the Annual Meeting in Ontario, October of 2014.
Now all association subgroups, including chapters, alliances, conferences, and coalitions, are referred to as “Subdivisions.” Chapters are the only subdivision that is geography-based. Each subdivision will need to comply with the oversight requirements detailed below.
Under the new bylaw amendments, all WSTA Board Members will now be exclusively elected by geographic “Voting Districts.” Each member will be placed in Voting District nearest the member’s place of business. The boundaries of these Voting Districts will be the same as the previous boundaries for each chapter and a Voting District will get one Director seat for each 25 members (same as before for chapters).
These are some important steps needed to re-establish Voting District “Chapters:”
- Send letter and/or a petition to all chapter chairs and Directors regarding the new changes along with a copy of the full bylaws (available on-line). The changes are a result of recent amendments to the WSTA bylaws.
- Give in detail the steps to all chapter Chairs that includes the steps to get their chapter in compliance with the new amendments:
- Have a min. of 15 members submit a petition to re-establish the chapter, which will be subject to Board approval. The petition should state that the chapter will include all members of the same/coterminous Voting District.
- After approval by the Board, the chapter shall elect a Chair, Secretary, and Treasurer for the Chapter (Secretary and Treasurer can be the same person) in a Board-approved manner.
- Notify all chapter members in writing of all issues that need to be voted on 10-90 days prior to the meeting.
- Hold at least 2 in-person noticed meetings per year.
- Have minutes for all expenses approved and actions taken at meetings.
- Have a 10% quorum to vote and approve changes and any business related expenses.
- Send all minutes and the sign-in sheet back to office for all meetings.
- Submit an expense request for any funds to be expended supported by:
- A request for a specific expenditure (no blanket requests). It must be for an association or chapter supported and business related or charity/scholarship program related.
- Meeting minutes indicating a vote on the expenditure.
- Appropriate receipts, quotes, and/or other documentation validating the amount requested.
- A confirmation from the Board, EC, or State Treasurer approving the request.
- Send all chapter funds/money to office accounting manager (it will be credited to the same chapter if re-established). Office accounting manager will handle all financial transactions for each chapter including fiscal year-end reports.
PETITION TO RE-ESTABLISH WSTA CHAPTER
Pursuant to WSTA Bylaw section 5.4, the undersigned respectfully submit this petition to the Board requesting the approval of re-establishing WSTA chapter. Consistent with Bylaw section 5.2, in addition to furthering the general mission of the Association, the goal of this proposed chapter is to help these owner-operators and larger business owners improve their business knowledge, and maximize their access to the many services and products now offered by WSTA. The undersigned agree to abide by all pertinent WSTA bylaw provisions.
If approved, the Association will solicit the membership and ask who would also like to be involved and promptly schedule a meeting or series of meetings to, at a minimum, elect a Chair, a Secretary, a Treasurer and other officers if needed, consistent with Bylaw section 5.5.
The following petitioner is a WSTA member in good standing respectfully requesting the immediate approval of re-establishing this chapter. All verifying documentation for each petitioner is available for review, upon request.
WSTA Member Name: ___________________________________________ ID #____________
Name of Chapter Petitioning to Re-establish: __________________________________________
Please fill out petition and fax, mail or email scanned petition and send back to our office ASAP
ATTENTION Lorraine Perluss
FAX (909) 985-2348
OFFICE (909) 982-9898
ADDRESS 334 N Euclid Avenue • Upland, CA 91786